Written by: Emily Guterres
Edited by: Pina Capuano
You’re not the only one getting into the holiday spirit, the NBA is giving back to their communities through the NBA Cares Season of Giving. Teams and players across the country are helping thousands of children and families by hosting charitable events in their communities in an effort to brighten the holiday season.
This year the NBA Cares Season of Giving officially tipped off Nov, 19, 2014. As a part of this initiative, the NBA and the NBA Development League teams and players will join community partners and volunteers in hosting more than 375 charitable events from November to December.
All these events bring hope and celebration to communities and families across America, which need it most. The events span a wide variety, so here’s a look at our top 5 favorite moments of the NBA Cares Season of Giving:
1. Kevin Durant from Oklahoma Thunder delivered holiday gifts for kids at Positive Tomorrows, a non-for profit organization that supports the needs of homeless children and their families.
2. Toronto Raptors player, Kyle Lowry surprised 35 underprivileged school children with a holiday visit and Toys ‘R’ Us shopping spree. Each child had seven minutes to get as many toys as they possibly could while spending some quality time with the basketball star. This event was in support of the Lowry Love Foundation Charity which helps underpriviledged and disadvantages children to promote the attainment of a better quality of life. For Lowry, the holiday season “is an important time for [my] family, a time to give back.”
3. Dallas Mavericks ‘Stuff the Bus’ fundraiser. This event happened on Dec. 6 in three locations in the Dallas area. The ‘Fox Sports Southwest Mavs Express’ bus was stuffed with over 3,500 pounds of coats, blankets, and clothes, donated all to Dallas Life which helps the homeless.
4. The Washington Wizards deliver holiday gifts deliver to the holiday Family-to-Family program. This program supports families who are in a bind and dealing with sickness, unemployment, and violence, among other stressful family circumstances. The Family-to-Family Program also brings people together. They allow families to “adopt” another family in need, and share the joys of the holiday season with them.
5. The Indiana Pacers make the holidays special with a shopping spree for some lucky children in Indiana. The children are part of Children’s Bureau, a not-for profit organization which helps neglected children and their families in the Indiana area.
These events bring players and members of their communities together. Apart from creating unforgettable memories, the NBA Cares Season of Giving brings strength and hope to those going through difficult times each holiday season.
Be sure to keep track of all the other fantastic events going on this month by following NBA Cares on Twitter @nbacares and Facebook. For more video footage of events, visit the NBA Cares youtube page